Monday, November 29, 2010

Tights of the Week



Running towards me across town was a young woman wearing the most striking pair of tights. They were white, and I have no use for white tights usually, but on these over each knee was a perfect black oval, positioned length-wise like a face. I've been furiously searching for them online ever since, to no avail. (They were somewhat reminiscent of the jeans Kim Gordon wore for her appearance at Dia: the ones with the metal studs circling each rock goddess knee.)

While I did not find the ones with spots, I did find an amazing source for tights: Tights for Sore Eyes. It's the source that provided me with this week's image.

Speaking of which, over the long, protracted weekend (my favorite weekend of the year) I discovered that I can indeed upload from my ancient digital camera. So I may start to bring it out on fashion finding voyages. It's much larger than my previous camera, so I'll have to see how encumbered I feel.

Apropos of nothing, I saw a current photo of Bianca Jagger over the weekend, and was shocked by it, and then I felt terrible for being shocked. If I had been meeting Bianca Jagger for tea every day since her marriage to Mick, I'm sure I would not have blinked. But it made me think again of Antonya Nelson's Bound, which I keep perusing, although I finished it several weeks ago.

In it, one of the central characters, a 70-something man, Oliver Desplaines, has two ex-wives: the first ex-wife is his age; the second is 57. It's implied that his current wife, Catherine, is around 40. And when the novel opens, Oliver's cheating on her, with one of his employees whose "ripe cheeks" put her at about 25. In fact, he's cheated on all of his wives, presumably when they--or he--got too old.

Of course, I find this all incredibly depressing, the fact that Bianca's ex would never choose to be with someone his age. (He's the real-life rock and roll version of Oliver Desplaines.) And the way that fashion is so often for the young.

On that note, please let me know what notable tights you spot this week, and if you're reading anything good.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't purchased any new tights this season, but still like my ombre tights a lot. Also, scored a pair of black knit cut out tights that E or I left behind (accidentally?)

    Speaking of tights, we need to submit!

    And start a new piece.

    Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you could totally make those tights with the ovals. Screen print, or just hand paint or block print ... They could be so easy, and you could place the ovals exactly where you want them for your own knees. Maybe knees are going to be the next new sexy body part, like the lower belly and jutting hip bones of late ... That would be wonderful! Reading: The Confident Creative. Wearing: New boots, gold tights, brown skirt, dark orange sweater. I heart fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie,
    I know you didn't post about high waisted pants in your latest entry, but I'm considering them for the first time ever. What does everyone thing about high waisted pants? Do you they will be around for a while?

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey JT -

    Love those tights - they make me think of Hitchcock's 'The Birds'
    What photo of Bianca did you see that caused you such surprise ?
    I don't see many photos of her these days - so I still have her in my mind's eye riding a white horse at Studio 54 back in the 70s, or in that famous photo her looking so lovely wearing a white YSL suit, in the back of a car w/ Mick on their wedding day in 1971...
    Now I'm afraid to gaze upon any updated images YIKES

    Shell - did the photo of those high waisted jeans I sent you from the satoralist blog a couple of weeks ago cause your high waisted pant ponderings ?
    Kate Moss has been wearing this style for like, three years already, so I suppose they will last for at least a few more seasons - especially because the general population hasn't yet discovered / considered them.
    Be a fashion trail blazer Shelley - get a pair and wear them confidently while confusing / confounding everyone around you - until they begin wearing them too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think high-waisted pants are womanly and beautiful, though it's tough to find the right pair. I haven't found them yet. Maybe it's just that low-waisted don't look good on me, but I'm glad they're coming back so I won't be limited to only skirts and dresses (as much as I love them. Shelly, you could surely wear them very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Use these high waisted jeans as a new modern high waist / wide pant leg fashion template :

    http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/92310FlareWeb.jpg

    The proportions really do look fresh to the eye after years of skinny jeans, don't they ?
    The right show is a must to prevent looking like an extra from 'Carrie' of course.

    ReplyDelete