
What Kim Wore: Last Monday, I arrived at Dia early (after supping soup alone at the Half King), and was able to full-on gawk at Kim Gordon when she arrived. She wore the following. I took copious notes: bell-sleeved ribbed-waisted cotton sweater, tan chunky heeled short boots, and dark skinny jeans with a circle of studs over each knee. This was the first time I'd seen a decorative studded pattern over the knee of jeans. I like that it had traces of the '70s but felt entirely new because of the positioning. I could have taken copious photos both then and inside the decidedly intimate room where the "lecture" was but no longer have a really portable camera.
Speaking of the lecture it was a disappointment. I don't know what I was expecting. Something more dense and academic? Yes!--which is strange in hindsight. Kim's presentation was thin and meandering punctuated with a lot of "ums." She seemed uncomfortable speaking at a mic. Dan Graham, himself, was in the second row, sitting near Kim's husband, Thurston. Graham contributed minimally and from his chair and had this staccato, Asperger's-like delivery, which fascinated me. Then at a certain point, apropos of nothing, Kim plugged in a guitar and began making noise on it, strolling into the audience and writing on the floor. Now this I wished I'd had my camera for.
Eating: Pomegranate seeds. The first of the season! I am continually in awe of them and the whole process of eating them--excavating the jewel-like seeds from the . . . er . . . white mine flesh. Ugh. Damn, I wish I were a better writer.
Reading: Found my copy of Antonya Nelson's latest novel Bound (2010). Set against the BTK murders, the narrative's focus is on a troubled Wichita couple: the husband (a touch younger than Dan Graham) is a philandering entrepreneur annoyed that his third wife has just inherited the teen daughter of her oldest troubled friend, who accidentally swerved off a mountain road and into a Colorado ravine.
What are you reading?
i just started reading Denis Johnson's new novel "nobody move".
ReplyDeleteOh - that lecture sounds like it was worth the price of admission just to see kim bash on her guitar as you described - THAT IS AUSS !
ReplyDeleteDid you really expect her to be verbal, when her medium of expression is screaming, screeching, meandering, noodling guitar playing and barely comprehensible lyrics buried in feedback ?
and i love her fashion ensemble - what a simple way to make one's jeans unique and more dense with reference - brilliant.
I am reading 'Isabella Blow - A Life in Fashion' by Lauren Goldstein Crowe.
I am waiting to start it until I am away for the upcoming T-day holiday and have days to read leisurely around the pool, but I have looked at the photos in the book - and they make me impatient to begin diving into this bio.
PS - the pomogranette photo is beautiful
So Patti Smith won the National Book award last night--apparently she stole the show with her speech as well. Have a great T-Day!
ReplyDeleteDerek
I used to grow pomegranates when I lived in Satan George, Utah. Here's a big clue how to prevent those nasty red fruit stains. Always remove the fruit while submerged. Everything separates nicely in the water, and there's no mess.
ReplyDeleteHappy ThanXgiving
Eating: Traditional TGD in a handful of hours.
Wearing: barefooted and messy haired.
Reading: Hildegarde (Von Bingen) - the Last Year
Listening: ENO Ambient 1-4