Reading: John Williams' Stoner. No, not what you think. This is a spare autobiographical novel about a long, plodding life within academia. Set in the midwest, and punctuated by two World Wars, Williams' narrative does what Cheever's seem to: it makes a life of conventional choices seem well, rather horrifying and wrong in a world where you keep your regrets quiet. I haven't finished the novel yet, but right now, our hero, Professor Stoner, is realizing his hasty marriage to a well-kept St. Louis girl has been a mistake. (Her character, is at first, reminiscent of Laura's in The Glass Menagerie.)
I'd actually like to start a new blog of annotated bibliographies of fictional academic narratives. Exciting, yes??
Wearing: A red coat, which I hope is reminiscent of an early '70s Mary Tyler Moore, but shorter. Also, last night I dressed, sans bass guitar, as Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth, but there is no photographic record of it. (What were you for Halloween?)
So last week, I misplaced my camera somewhere between Union Square and the East Village. What happened to it, I have no idea. I had just come from viewing the Starn twins copious and ostentatious bamboo sculpture on the Met's Rooftop, took several photos of that, and then took several photos in Union Square of lurching zombies who were marketing a new cable show on zombies.
A kindly fellow parent gave me a digital camera from 2005, so I am tentatively seeing if I can get photos from it up here. Will let you know soon.
I WANT TO SEE YOUR KIM GORDEN COSTUME !!
ReplyDeletedid Avey go as Thurston ?
Sorry about your camera. Now, I'm off to legalize marijuana in California. YES on 19
ReplyDeletedon't miss my halloween video
Reading: The Song Is You, by Arthur Phillips
ReplyDeleteHis kid goes to PS29 with M, and I sort of liked The Egyptologist. Just started it, will let you know.
Wearing: Gold APC wedge sandals (score, for $35). Yes it's winter, but the owner of my favorite store in Brooklyn (Bird) had a "closet sale" where she unloaded all her cast-offs and it was a treasure trove! I bought about $2000 worth of stuff for $200, including a lovely Vanessa Bruno handbag.
Eating: Goodies from the election day bake sale.
Sorry for the reason for your blog move, but the new one is handsome. Good luck with your camera issues!
ReplyDeleteWow. Your blog is showing up in my Google Reader for the first time ever, which I can't figure out, but I'm glad to see it. I just finished reading Oliver Twist for about the third or fourth time and am also reading Paul Theroux's latest train journey (wreck)--kind of a rehash of his earlier books, with plenty of griping from Paul. I'm wearing a very unexciting and old get-up. Unflattering Levis that are at least 4 years old, a T-shirt that is about 15 years old and has an image of a cow on a bike eating an ice cream cone, and a cardigan that I knit myself. And glasses.
ReplyDelete