Monday, January 24, 2011

Dennis Oppenheim


The conceptual artist Dennis Oppenheim died yesterday of liver cancer at the age of 72. I care, not only because I became a fan of his work this past year, but because I actually (unexpectedly) spent an evening in his company in the summer of '09, I think it was. I will write more about it later, but it was one of the most interesting of my NY experiences in my 15 years of NY experiences. A major contemporary American artist, he was part of a recent photo show at the MOMA, and apparently was in the middle of some major site specific commissions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up.

    Im going to wiki Oppenheim and see what I missed.
    Better late than never.

    Keep warm dear JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always sad to hear about the passing of an artist. And the older I get, the younger an age like 72 sounds. He clearly had so much more to give and do.

    ReplyDelete